The Data Sovereignty Now community is a coalition with aligned beliefs and singular purpose
We believe that people and organisations should be provided with practical and effective solutions to manage, control and create value from their personal and business data.
Instead of a handful of global players enjoying a virtual monopoly on the exploitation of data, we will embed the principles of Data Sovereignty to stimulate commercial growth, healthy competition and vibrant innovation which will super-charge the digital economy.
Data Sovereignty means creating simple, uniform and secure ways for consumers and businesses to re-use their decentralised data whenever and wherever they wish. It is based on the development of collaborative ‘soft infrastructures’ of functional, legal, technical and operational agreements.
To achieve this goal, we are building a coalition of partners to influence the development of national and European legislation in the domain of data sharing (the European Commission is preparing legislation in this year’s Q3 and Q4).
The benefits of data sovereignty
By making data sovereignty a central design principle of the data economy, we can realise significant benefits, including:
- People can easily switch providers, and enable their data to be commercialised by businesses (and also receive a fair share of the benefits)
- Businesses can trade more easily, securely and cost-effectively with other businesses (even those outside their regular physical supply chains)
- All parties holding data can offer consistent functionalities and ways of working to their customers, suppliers and employees
- The free flow of data will increase, thereby stimulating more and faster commercial innovation to create new kinds of data-enabled business models that generate new services
- The dominance of the Big Tech giants will be reduced since customer data will no longer be ‘locked in’. This will level the digital competitive playing field, making it easier for other organisations to enter the market with innovative products and solutions, and creating a healthier growth climate for start-ups and scale-ups.